Katie Hutchinson and Dana Preston shared about how to better engage Young Rotarians in leadership. Some of the takeaways include:
- Ask young people to join Rotary
- Understand that if joining is too long or too hard — they won’t finish the process.
- Engage new members and make them welcome.
- Ask new members to step into leadership.
- Keep asking new members to step into leadership.
- Understand that for younger members, a real benefit is the networking (even though that’s a dirty word).
Additionally, they suggested understanding:
- That younger members will accept traditions, but will also ask “Why?”
- That we need to all watch our narrative around Rotary. We don’t “Have” to go to our meeting — we “Get” to go to the meeting.